Sunday, August 30, 2009

Construction and Stuff

I do not really know where to start. Should I address in some witty way the fact that it has taken me 6 months to submit a blog or should I just write about construction? I know there are many who have not been here who would prefer lots of details and directions and those who have already been here who just want to know how far along the construction has come. Well, for the sake of my parents who want ALL the details and for those who have not yet come, I will take a chance at some of boring you with the hopes of sharing with our family in a detailed manner. I have put together a slide show in a timeline fashion highlighting the multi-use building. Although it would seem to be our biggest concern and project, we have not put very much work into it ourselves. Most of what you will see was done by a government grant and their workers as well as the roof that we recently contracted to be built. The only work that we, meaning myself and the three or four workers that work for House of Faith, have done on the MU building is help pour the 2nd story floor one 16 hour day, the columns for the roof, and the header to support the roof. Along with that many hands have helped tear down frames, pull nails, and stack lumber from the MU building. Other projects this summer that are not featured in the slide show are as follows: building inspection pits for sewage and water lines, installing water lines, tapping into the Shell water pipe line and running up to the tower, installing the water tanks on the tower , burying pipe, remodeling a house, a very long continual to-do list at the current orphanage, building a circle drive with 3 drives needing cement culverts, repairing the entrances to the cement bridge, plastering the columns at the swimming hole, using a machete to cut down the wild jungle grass AGAIN, provisional building a bathroom on the Septic Tank, and as always cleaning up around the construction site.

This has been a wonderful summer filled with many hands and hearts eager to serve. Well, at least the first day they were eager. Sore would be a better description of the hands and bodies the following days after the work at the property.

Patti Sue bought 3 hectares (approx. 7 acres) from Mr. Garces about 3 years ago. The only standing structures on the property that were built in the last 2 years were the water tower and the cellar (tool shed). It is approximately 360 meters east to west and 118 meters north to south. It is north of Shell across the river about ¾ of a mile from our house and the orphanage. There is much work to do but we take each day as it comes. Thanks to all who have Invested their time, prayers, sweat, money, and encouragement to Tandy and me. Lord willing I will post again before we leave here. Seriously though, it was intimidating since I waited so long.


6 comments:

  1. Wow! VERY IMPRESSIVE! (and scary in some parts) :) We're very proud of you and all that you are doing. Praise God for giving all you guys the strength and wisdom to know how to do all of that! Mom and I loved the little "Firecracker" Can you put her in your pocket and bring her home with you?
    Happy Anniversary to you two little lovebirds! As Papa and Daylen say, "Kissy! Kissy!"
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good job, Jonathan. So proud of you and Tandy. Awesome....Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell you how much I miss Shell, the people, the kids, and the construction work. All of you have been in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope that God continues to bless you in great ways.

    I look forward to reading more about your adventures and how the kids are doing. Please, send them my love. Thank you so much for everything.

    In His Love,
    Cori Curtis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the blog world! So exciting to hear about all your projects! That's the "nitty-gritty", huh? The day to day manual labor that I'm sure you wake up to some mornings and would like to be far removed from. THANK YOU for serving each day and laboring in love. I know God will richly bless my dear friends for their hard work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mi amiga Tandy! I had no idea you moved to Ecuador. That is so wonderful and amazing! I got such joy today from finding that out and looking over your past blogs. I'm in grad school now but when finished me and some friends are moving to Chile to do some mission work. I do not think we will be very close but mabye we will run into each other in South America. How cool would that be! :) Well I am excited to keep up with you through your blog now. Blessings to you and Dwight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dwight, that's a great slideshow. I love seeing some pics of the roof going on! Very exciting. I'd love to see some current pics since August when you have the chance. We all loved working with you guys 7 weeks ago!
    Blessings,
    Colin Peters
    New St Peters Presbyterian Church
    Dallas, TX

    ReplyDelete