Wednesday, March 18, 2009

To market, to market, to buy a fat pig....

Sorry for the delay in postings!!! We have been having internet issues, but I hope to catch up soon.

This past Sunday we got up and went to the market with Patti Sue and Inez. Inez is kind of like the ‘head Tia’ at the orphanage, and we’re going to start doing Spanish/English lessons soon! So, the market…. There is a huge outdoor market in Puyo, a town larger than Shell about 10 minutes from Shell. They go every Sunday morning around 6:00 to buy the majority of everything they will need to feed 50 kids for one week. It’s an interesting process.

We probably won’t go on a regular basis, but it was fun to go this first time. Dwight took this picture up high for me. There were about 4 more areas this size, all connected. It was craziness. Some people go to the closest ‘big city’ to buy fruit, and then they re-sell it at the market. There are others who grow it themselves and come from all over to sell there.



Oh man…this was great. This guy saw that I had my camera, and he told Inez that he wanted me to take a picture of him to take back to the United States. assured him I would share the picture. I It was hilarious. Here he is posing with his goods….. When I showed him the picture on my camera, he was VERY proud.

Oh my… These are some kind of massive worms that they cook and eat. You can't tell by the picture, but they're about an inch or more in diameter. (gag) No, thank you.


I love this picture as well. Patti Sue wasn’t impressed with the size of these chickens. I wish I had a better picture, because the heads are still attached…you just can’t see them in this one.



Hence the title of this blog entry. :-) Apparently you just walk up…pick whatever chunk you want, and they machete it off for you. So simple.


2 comments:

  1. Those pig pictures are disgusting! Definitely a different shopping process than we have here, huh? Looks like quite an adventure! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those worms looked soooo tasty. Big D you gotta try them before you come back that way you can say you did. (Isn't that enough of a reason?) That looked great, but make sure to get some good shots of the jungle and dwight wrestling tigers and stuff like that. Ha

    ReplyDelete